Thursday 2 December 2010

A Complete Fabrication

My U channel styrene arrived today so I've been able to crack on with the frame for the Romanian ballast wagon.

This is quite a complicated structure with 4 main steel beams running the length of the wagon. The frame is mostly exposed to so there's not a lot of scope to cheat - you've got to build it just like the real one.

I decided to tackle it by fabricating two mirror image frames - very much like a ladder - and then link them together with the central cross beams.

It's probably easier to explain with pictures. Here's one of those halves...



And here are two joined together...



So I've now got the basic 4 beam outline there. I've linked them together with some chunky sections of stryrene strip. This is the one place where it's possible to cheat and beef up the structure. They'll be underneath the hoppers and as the wagon will be modelled loaded you won't see these strengthening pieces.

This next shot is with all the cross beams in place. You see, I wasn't exaggerating when I said it was a complex fabrication!



The main consideration when assembling the frame was to ensure the cross beams in the middle lined up with the 'feet' on the bottom of the hopper. Here it is with the hopper resting on top.





I've also been waiting for some 1mm square strip to finish off the rib detail on the hopper body. Notice also the tiny wee triangles which are resting on the lower rib.



And now I've got to do it all again on the 2nd model for a customer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment