Sunday 24 February 2019

Veranda

Imaginary modelling is much easier than doing it for real - some might also say it can be more fun?

Anyway, in the absence of actually making any progress with anything this week I've been turning my mind to how I'm going to create the interior for the Gladstone Carriage.


The posh saloon bit in the middle is easy enough - that just has two upholstered longitudinal benches along either side.

The tricky things with be the seats in the open section at either end.

They're done in a traditional wooden bench style with slats, very similar to the ones fitted to the Winson semi-opens built in the mid-90s, and just like those they have the disadvantage of very highly visible, so cheating is not really an option.

When I modelled these I made them from scratch, gluing on every slat made with a styrene strip.

What I have to decide is whether I can face doing this again or whether there is a better alternative?

I'm toying with the idea of whether it's possible to etch in brass some kind of ladder-style thing which could be bent and glued in place onto a base - maybe resin cast?

Or would that all be just as much of a faff as just doing it from scratch?

3 comments:

  1. Could you cut them as a ladder from modelling card with a sharp knife, glue them onto the frames rhen cut off the supporting sides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,
    Cumbrian railways do a brass slated bench, which I'm think you might be able to use as a basis of a kit bash. Have you got a picture of the original?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to their product;
      http://www.cumbrianrailways.org.uk/furnessseats.php
      Cheers
      Stuart

      Delete