Monday 14 October 2019

Getting Gwyrfai Going

A rare Saturday night with the house to myself (sleeping children excepted) meant the chance to have a the first sustained spell of modelling in many weeks.

Sustained in this context meaning two uninterrupted hours at the desk.

This gave me enough time to produce the first layer of the body sides for the new WHR observation carr Gwyrfai


It’s been a while I last scratch built a carriage in styrene so I thought some readers might appreciate seeing the process illustrated again.

I work with a scale plan of the carriage placed under a thin sheet of glass and tape the lower part of the body shell in place above it.

Then I glue vertical window pillars in their positions, chop them all to the correct height using a ruler as a guide, and glue a cant rail into position.


On this carriage I’ve also added in bars to represent the opening windows at this stage.

These have to be cut to the most precise possible tolerances to be fixed in position with a drop of solvent on the joints.

Doing in on glass means everything stays perfectly flat but my big is to keep the pieces inside a book - as if you are pressing flowers - between sessions working on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment