Friday 23 March 2018

One Five Two

So, I've run out of excuses and there's nothing else for it than to clean up the castings and start putting the second Superbarn observation car 152 together.



I find I need to make sure I'm in the right mood to tackle a job like this because gluing the pieces together is a precision job.

It's been a lot easier since I discovered 60 second Loctite which does indeed give you an opportunity to play around with the position of the piece without having the difficulty of trying to hold it in place for minutes on end as happens with even the fastest-setting epoxy resins.

You might be able to see that this one has an almost imperceptible curve on the front section which was done by altering the master (a piece formed out of brass with styrene layers on top) which could be bent very carefully and another mould made from it.

Once again I will be giving it to Himself to add the roof, and the window pillars at the front, in brass,

Before that I will drill the holes for the bogie pivots.

This time I will do my utmost to make sure they are completely central. 

You may remember I failed to achieve this on 150 with unfortunate consequences when it scraped the sides of the cutting beneath Rhoslyn Bridge on Dduallt.

Not my finest modelling hour, that.

1 comment: