Sunday 25 March 2018

Skirting

Before I pass 152 over to Himself to do the metal working there's a something I can do which will give him more of a solid foundation to work with.

All the Superbarn family of carriages have a very obvious underframe which the body sits on top of, but I represent this on the models with a rather flimsy-looking skirt which I fix on the bottom of the chassis.


Normally these are made up only of straight sections of 90 degree bends but on these two carriages there are curvy corners at the front to be formed.

Fortunately the Evergreen styrene strips I use are very soft and pliable and it's usually possible to form a bend which will stay in shape long enough for you to weld it in place with solvent.

You can see that I have also drilled the holes for the bolts for the bogies (centrally, this time, I hope) and the bolsters are in place to set the correct ride height as well.

This skirt makes the floor piece rigid and it also provides a firm base for the carriage body while it is being worked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment