Friday 15 November 2019

Matching

It feels like a long time since I was able to spend a couple of hours at a stretch at the workbench so I used to time I had the other day wisely to complete the detailing work on both sides of the new WHR observation car Gwyrfai.


Because its been so long since I made Glaslyn I have forgotten exactly which techniques I used to create the round corners of the panelling, so I had to come up with a new way.

What I did with the larger corners on the lower bodyside was to chop a 45 degree angle in a 15" x 60" strip and then file it away into a concave shape.

Then I cut out the these very small triangles, now with a crescent shape on one edge, and glued them into postion in the corners so that you can hardly see the join.

The cant rail was more challenging.

I know that previously I have done this by curling a piece of fine strip into a tight U shape, glued it in place and then used filler in the gaps.

Another solution would be to try to make even smaller triangles to bond in the corners.

Instead, what I did was drill a hole in the middle of a piece of 80" strip, then reamed it out until the hole almost reached the edges of the strip, and chopped through the middle of it, leaving two pieces with a half-moon bite taken out of them.

These were then glued in place between upper and lower strips which were already in place.

I think it's quite effective.


2 comments:

  1. Very Impressive!
    Do you know what you are going to do with Bodysgallen when Gwyrfai is finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall continue to run it, of course, just to annoy people!

      Delete