Saturday 18 April 2020

Emergency Service

My current challenge is to try to produce a pair of Fairlie ‘ambulance bogies’ to go under Livingston Thompson.

The bogies in question are the ex-Polish ones which I previously scratch built to run under our oil tanker 66, which I’m using as a guide.


These bogies have a very distinctive short wheelbase and a semi-circular frame at the front.

Last time I fabricated them entirely from styrene but this time I think it might be a better idea to try to cast them from resin as one piece to give it more strength.

I’ll use the technique I adopt with the brass-framed bogies of having the axle box and suspension detail as a secondary casting to glue the sides afterwards.


The first attempt at a master for the frame is ready to create a mould, and we’ll see if the concept works.

No comments:

Post a Comment