Thursday 28 May 2020

Maen Over Matter

I’ve been turning my mind to another challenge to tackle over the summer - and challenge is definitely the word.

Since I first saw it I’ve been captivated by the Maenofferen tank waggon, but the shape is like no other tank you’ve ever seen before.


Until this week how to tackle it was an academic question, but a passing comment to the FR GM that one day it would be useful to get some key dimensions for it resulted in him conducting an immediate security check on Minfffordd Yard, tape measure in hand.

So now I don’t have any excuses left.

I’m thinking that I may try to shape a slice of styrene to match the end profile, then cast it a few times and stack them to make a one third segment of tank, and repeat the casting process with that.

These larger sections could also be drilled hollow to save weight.

It all sounds like a lot of work but I don’t have any CAD skills for 3D printing, and anyway, that’s cheating, isn’t it??

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you have influence in high places ! Would it be easier to carve a piece of wood for a one off or as a master to cast a few that are bound to be asked for in the future!

    ReplyDelete