Wednesday 14 March 2012

MOTW - 105

Our Model Of The Week is the great survivor: 105.



It may sound a little silly to talk about a carriage built in the mid-19060's in those terms, but of the first generation of Barns it is the one remaining in the most original condition - at least as far as the bodywork goes.

The model you see here, in a picture taken on Dduallt, is the second version I have of this carriage.

The first, I have to confess, was a bit of a cock-up, because when I made it - and it was about the 3rd or 4th carriage I ever scratch built - I did not appreciate that the two sides were not identical!

What I failed to twig, until many years later, was that on the 'engine side', the side you're looking at here, 105 had an extra window pillar at the bottom end, which was a legacy of it being fitted, when new, with the FR's first toilet compartment.

It had a camping-style Elsan chemical bog. Lovely!

This was removed in the mid-80's. which is the period in which my model shows the carriage, and the space where the compartment used to be turned into a standard seating bay, but the extra window pillar was never removed.

Incidentally, 105 has since been rebuilt again with a toilet compartment, but now it has been placed in the centre of the carriage where the first class section once was.

(There are some pictures of my latest model of 105 carriage in its current guise here)

This 105 is one of only a handful we run on Dduallt in the Cherry Red livery of the 1970's and most of the 1980's. Some may consider it a little dull but I think it suited the Barns very well. It certainly looked a lot better on them than it did on the tin carrs.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any photos or drawings of how 103 looked before it was rebulit with aluminum side pannels?
    thanks
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any pictures to hand, Patrick, but when we go to the Sparsholt show next month I will dig out my model of 103 in its original form and post some pictures of it for you. The FR Heritage Group may be able to source drawings of the carriage in its original form if you contact their sales officer.

    ReplyDelete