Monday 4 December 2017

I See A Red Engine And I Want To Paint It Black?

With apologies to Sir Mick and Keith, but it appears I have a decision to make with regards to our Lilla.


Himself has been adding a few brass embellishments to the 3D printed Robex body, such as the handrails and whatever it is on top of the dome.

(UPDATE: since this was posted a reader has got in touch to tell me it is a regulator lubrication valve. Every day's a school day.)

I get the impression he finds working with this inherently brittle material rather stressful compared to brass or white metal.

(His last email to me began with the words 'before I wreck it completely....')

Those of you who are familiar with the Minitrains chassis which is used on this kit will notice what a good job he's done reshaping the fly cranks so they no longer have the big counter weight on them.

He has also made use of a handy etched fret from RT Models to replace the slidebars and the original, and rather chunky, couplings have been changed as well for brass ones.

So now he's asking me about my preferences for painting it?

It seems to me we have three choices,

For a while on the FR it ran it plain black livery.

(I'm sure he'd be delighted if we plumped for that.)

Then for a long while it was in lined out Penrhyn Quarry Railway livery, and last winter it emerged from Boston Lodge in the rather natty Cilgwyn green.

What do you all reckon?


6 comments:

  1. I would go with the Cilgwyn Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be Penrhyn black with red and sky blue lining which will be challenge to reproduce in 009 that's for sure.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, but no worse than K1 hopefully.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rob, doesn't the time you have set for the layout determine the colour/lining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only really for the physical layout rather than the stock - they keep building too many things we want to model.

      Delete