Friday 19 June 2020

Double Doors

I was reminded of the perils of building a model when you're tired, or in a rush, or both, when I went to do a little more work on 2048 the other day and found myself having to spend the session deconstructing and rebuilding what I'd done before I could make any forward progress.

The issue appeared when I began to add the beading details to the doors, which are sub-assemblies on these WHR saloons,.


I discovered that I had set the height incorrectly, and from the window opening upwards they were around 1.5mm taller than the bodyside.

The simplest thing would have been to make a new set of base layers to the right dimension, but being the stubborn type that I am I elected to try and alter them.

This involved very carefully slicing between the pillars and the lower body panel and then trimming a very precise - and identical - amount off the bottom of each post and grafting it back together.

Being mindful not to fall into the trap of cutting too much off I found that it took at least three attempts to lower it to the correct size, and then some even finer trimming to ensure it was all square again.

Fortunately the pieces won't lose any strength from this butchery because there are full length strips to add on top which will secure the joint again.

It was all very irritating for being so unnecessary, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment