Sunday 7 June 2020

Russian Doll

If I put up a post telling you what I’ve been working on this weekend it would be very boring - casting scores of Superbarn seat and table sets for a customer.

So instead I thought a little walk down memory lane would  be more interesting for you.

Prompted by discussion on a Facebook group I dug out some pictures of a model of Rhiw Goch signal boxes - note the plural - which I made as a gift for the chap who led the rebuild project many years ago.


I don’t have many moments of genius but this was one of them.

Inspired by the way they built the new box outside the old one then did the demolition from within.

So I built the models like a Russian doll with the new one slipping on top of the old ‘70s garden shed box.


I was pretty chuffed with how it turned out, and when the late, great Steve Coulson produced a plinth and protective Perspex case it finished it off brilliantly.

Still one I’m very proud of.


The full story is in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Modelling Review number 74 - I hope the editorial team won’t mind me reproducing the images here.

No comments:

Post a Comment