Sunday 11 November 2012

Roll Out The Barrel

While I wait on the last lot of silicone gunge setting (yes, it's still vulcanising at a glacial speed) I've knocked up a couple more masters for the kit.


What we've got here is the end buffer beam of the wagon with a frame cum handrail above and one half of one of the brake cylinders which sit in the right hand corner at each end of the wagon.

Hopefully you'll see from the picture of one of the real wagon which bit is supposed to be what and where it's going to go...


The idea with the brake cylinder - which always seems to me to have a pleasing similarity to a barrel of whisky - is that I will be able to flat-back cast two identical halves which can be glued together into a whole.

It seemed a bit easier to do it that way (for me) than faffing about with a two-part mould, which I have yet to pluck up the courage to try.

I did initially consider dividing it into a top and bottom section at the point where there is that fat band three quarters of the way up, but instead settled on a lengthways split which will be easier to hide under that cowling if it doesn't turn out as good as I had hoped....

No comments:

Post a Comment