Monday 23 August 2021

Learning Curves

Due to popular demand - well, a couple of comments, anyway - I thought I would post an update on the 'test track' project.

The standard gauge part is now almost complete as far as tracklaying is concerned, but there is no juice connected to any of it yet.

Despite being to all intents and purposes a 'train set' with the design of the tracks we've tried to make it to a reasonably high standard using flexitrack and medium/long radius, electrofrog points, and despite appearances none of the curves are any tighter than set track radius 2 at any point.

It's been a great learning curve for me because it's the first time I've laid track.

We began with a day-long session with Himself as the tutor, when we got most of the station area completed, and I've been taking it on from there solo, with occasional remote assistance by phone message - remind me how many insulated joiners this point needs again??

It's been a very enjoyable, and completely absorbing, process, although I can't pretend that it's always gone right first time.

Quite often on the large curves I've stood back to admire my handiwork, or pushed a carriage along to check clearances, only to decide that I could do better and pull it up and try again.

As I have written previously, this will be a dual gauge set up, and although the narrow gauge element was included for the purposes of having a test track at home, I've not been able to resist attempting to justify its existence.

Therefore, at one end of the goods yard there is a raised siding where I intend to create a coal transhipment point from standard to narrow gauge.

Image in Peter Johnson's Vale of Rheidol book published by Pen and Sword

I envisage something which is a blend of the arrangements on the Vale of Rheidol (above) but including chutes in the style of Minffordd Yard.

Picture by Rob Fisher, on Fesitpedia.org.uk

Quite what narrow gauge rolling stock will need to be 'tested' is as yet unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment