Wednesday 25 April 2012

MOTW - Palmerston

A real favourite of mine on Model Of The Week this time.


I love the England engines.

In fact I would go so far as to say that if I were forced to choose between an FR without England engines or without Fairlies I would wave goodbye to the Fairlies.

Palmerston was the second of our two Englands to be built from the venerable Langley whitemetal kit and we incorporated a few lessons learnt with Prince.

Although it still sits on the Ibertren chassis the kit was designed for the power comes from a Mashima can motor.

We also drilled out the huge lump of cast metal masquerading as coal in the tender and replaced it with some real crushed coal. Not only does it look better but it also saves a lot of weight which is an important consideration for operating Dduallt with its fierce gradient.

Palmerston has made quite a few appearances on the WHR at galas or on photo charters. He and his brother Prince make a terrific contrast to the giant Garratts and their jumbo-sized carriages as they potter about on Bron Hebog with a comparatively modest vintage train formation.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your sentiments about the England locomotives. Although I find Prince's footplate very uncomfortable for my height, I wouldn't feel as interested in the FR without them. I have happy memories of listening to Prince's stentorian bark as he punches above his weight on the curves in the Tan-y-Bwlch woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree as well with your comments about the England locos- I suspect it was all that clambering over the plinthed Welsh Pony at Porthmadog when on family holidays in the 80s'... By the way, regarding the post you made some time ago about the Pony, have you heard anymore about if its going to be restored etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very soft spot for 'The Pony' for the same reasons as you, Ben, from seeing it on the plinth as a kid.
    I haven't seen or heard any more about the restoration proposal recently but my money's ready and waiting whenever an offical appeal is begun....

    ReplyDelete