Saturday, 16 June 2012

A New Adventure

I am finally taking a leap into resin casting.

I say 'finally' because it's been nearly a year and a half since I revealed my intentions here on the blog.

The reason for the adventure is my desire to build models of the ex-SAR DZ wagons which can be found on the WHR.

They look like this...

Now, if you're a long-term reader of this blog you might be thinking: 'I thought he made some of those before?' Well you're right, I did, but they weren't for me, they were for a client.

And do you know what else? They were a right pain in the proverbials, mainly on account of those sunken panels in the doors. Making the wagons out of styrene meant I had to carve each one out by hand, scraping the styrene away with the tip of a scalpel blade.

There are 12 panels on each wagon, and the client wanted 4 wagons, and so by the end of the process I was very bored indeed and swore I would not be doing that again any time soon.

And so the idea was born of trying to cast the doors in resin. That way I would only have to make one master.

Here, then, is the one I made last February, and now finally I've got around to trying to make castings with it.

At the Railex show last month I invested in a starter pack of silicone rubber moulding compound and casting resin, which is what is in the bottles at the top of this post.

I shall let you know how I get on....

1 comment:

  1. You think scrapping the panels is bad with a scalpal. Try using a 5" angle grinder to get in there on the real thing! not top mention the other recess all around the sunken panel. six doors both sides. FUN FUN FUN


    PS i would be interested in finnished prices 009 on all wagons