Monday 20 May 2019

It's Not About The Money

We've just returned from a very enjoyable weekend showing Dduallt at one of the local exhibitions, in Troon, organised by the Kyle MRC.

As you might imagine one of the big topics of conversation in the hall was the heartbreaking news spreading online about the vandalism attack on the show organised by the Market Deeping club at a local school.


All of us could imagine how we would feel in that same situation, and its been remarkable to see how far the story has spread on social media.

One of the most interesting aspects for me - and I'm going to be a little controversial here - is the way so many people have responded by donating money through a crowdfunding appeal.

Putting it very bluntly: it's not about the money.

It's about decades of passion and dedication which have gone into creating these models.

It's about time - and the one thing money can't buy is time.

It seems to me that more and more these days our first reponse to distressing events is to set up crowd funders - to reach into our pockets and donate money.

Why?

Do we do it to make ourselves feel better, I wonder?

Don't get me wrong, I have every possible sympathy for the people whose models were wrecked in that mindless, pointless act of stupidity, but I'm concerned that some people may be lulled into thinking that money is the way to fix it.

Perhaps my response is conditioned by being a scratch and kit builder?

If our fiddle yards were filled with ready-to-run stock then maybe I'd think differently, because I'd know that I could go out and buy replacements and the only limiting factor would be what I could afford.

But for us, and our layouts, it's different.

We built Dduallt over 25 years ago, and building all the stock has been a continual labour of love through that quarter of a century.

It is genuinely priceless.


Perhaps what's been nagging away at me this weekend is worry that all the people clicking the 'donate' button, and adding a few more pounds to the total - which stands at over £41k as a write - might not always be thinking deeply about what's been lost, and what it represents.


6 comments:

  1. Well said Rob, if you need to put on a tin hat then I'm more than happy to don one and raise my head above the parapet. Money can never cover the cost, money cannot buy the therapy constructing Tanybwlch has given me.
    If it had been destroyed its history and my well being will have been wrenched away. Comments elsewhere show not many understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob, I absolutely agree that money is never going to replace that which has been so mindlessly trashed. But I do think that it is one of the better aspects of human nature to want to help in some way. Given that most of the contributors will be modellers of one sort or another, alerted of what has happened through their own particular channel of social media, I doubt if many of them would think that things will be solved by cash, but rather wanted to show some sign of solidarity and empathy with those modellers who have lost their work. Surely this should be applauded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who had his stockbox nicked years ago, I can confirm that money can't replace models that have had time and care lavished over them.

    It does show how much people care though and is probably the only thing most people can do to show this in a practical way. Far better they do this than indulge in some revenge fantasies as many on Facebook have been doing.

    http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2019/05/stamford-show-vandalism.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Mate. The time, love and dedication that have been lost cannot be bought nor sold. The loss at the Market Deeping show is deeper than the general public could imagine. As modellers, we know what we put into a project is immeasurable.
    I know the club will have lost money and will have a hefty insurance bill to cover, but that is all its going to replace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whilst I agree with your sentiments, the one thing the money can do is to keep the Club afloat. Having to cancel the show will have made a big dent in their finances plus whatever happens insurance wise which could seriously affect the clubs future and then the vandals win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your comments absolutely. The money will help with some of the practical stuff but that's all. I find these funds that grow so big a real worry. One's own hand-made models are priceless and can never be replaced by those of us who are too old to start again. I'm reminded of the Aberfan fund - the first time I saw that kind of reaction to a disaster and I recall how badly that ended with so much controversy over how the money was used.

    ReplyDelete