Wednesday 12 July 2023

Minffordd Update: Office Work

One of my biggest contributions to the Minffordd project is going to be making the buildings.

I've decided to begin with the FR weigh house - otherwise known as Fred's Office from its more recent use as admin space for the legendary track supremo - partly because I've already made one model of it.

The story behind it was that around 10 years ago I was asked if I could scratch build model of the weigh house to be presented to Fred as a retirement gift - which I was delighted to do.

I did it the hard way, painstakingly scribing the distinctive dressed stone courses into styrene sheet.

(Nothing was too good for Fred!)

This time I'm looking for a easier approach.

I'm still making the walls out of 60" styrene sheet, for strength, but only as a base layer.

On top I have bonded a thin covering of embossed styrene which is the closest I've been able to find to the stone courses on the real building.

Very little of that will be seen by the public because the part of the building which faces the front of the layout is the rear wall which was left as rough stone, so I'm using a different kind of sheet for that.

At any rate, this model will be the one that is furthest away from the audience, so all the more reason not to worry about pragmatic compromises.


No comments:

Post a Comment