Tuesday 6 December 2011

Ovaltime

So, I've begun work on the 7mm model of Pullman carr 'Bodysgallen'. And because I'm running rather short on stock of 30" styrene right now - and the bodysides need rather a lot of it - I've decided to start off with the doors.

This carriage was designed to look like a mini-version of the famous Brighton Belle Pullman parlour carrs on the Southern Railway and has doors dominated by those very distinctive elongated oval windows.

So how am I going to make those? Well, I'm doing exactly the same as I did on the 4mm scale version I made a number of years back.

It relies on the same technique of curving a styrene strip that I have demonstrated before to make round-framed windows.

From left to right here you can see how I start by making a rectangular frame, then glue some triangular pieces into the corners. Then I curl in the strip which is 40 thou thick so it stands a little proud.



The next step is to fill the gaps with Milliput and they'll be ready for the second layer of detail such as the framing around the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment