No, this post is not about Pamela Anderson, although is it all about horizontal extensions so I suppose there is some connection....
It is concerned with the very distinctive bay window on the eastern side of the Oberon Wood house I've been building.
This has been one of those details that I've been thinking about how best to tackle for a number of weeks before deciding to give it a go one night last week.
This is the very delicate side to building construction and requires some of the fabricating techniques I use in my carriage building.
I started by making up the three glazed sections of the bay window. Rather awkwardly there are very slim, glazed openings on either sides. It would have been an awful lot easier if they were blank...
My main consideration when planning it was not how to build it, but how best to allow access to slip the glazing into place when the model has been painted?
In the end I decided it would be too fiddly to try and do it from the inside with the window bonded into place on the outside of the house.
It wouldn't be too much of a problem if there was only the big pane to fit, but those small side ones would be very tricky indeed.
So I've opted to keep it removable until after its all been painted.
In this shot below you can see that I've glued the three pieces together and have offered it up to check for fit against the big hole in the side of the house.
This particular window also has sloping sections - a support below and a roof bit above.
I have chosen to bond the roof to the top of the window unit while the bottom shelf is fixed to the wall of the house and, until it's all put together for the final time, the glazed section can be rested, when required, in position on this shelf, as you see below.
I'm really rather pleased with how it's turned out, but I'm also glad I don't have to make a second one, because the second of this pair of houses has a blank wall on this eastern aspect.