With the tamper finished for my client I can, at last, get around to working on our own KMX. Or at least the match wagon which goes with it.
Making a match wagon has been a long-term ambition, as I wrote a few weeks ago.
This project is going to be a 'kit bash' and I'm using one of the OO9 Society's latest in-house kits for a generic RNAD wagon which is the basis of the real WHR wagon.
The key bits I need from the kit are the solebars and axles boxes and I'm also making use of the plank effect wagon top.
I got Himself to measure the wagon for me at Boston Lodge Works a few weeks ago so I have some proper data to work from.
Interestingly, if you're building the RNAD wagon kit you need to chop the ends of the solebars because they are over-long (they are also from a mould for another kit) but it just so happens they are the perfect length for the match wagon.
The floor, however, is too short in the kit, which made it harder to use it as intended to set the solebars the correct distance apart.
So what I've done is to cut a piece of styrene to do the job because there is plenty of clearance above the wheels.
The kit does come with two floor pieces (that legacy of its design for another kit, again) so I was able to cut a slice from the second one to make my floor to the correct length.
Now I have started to add the side extensions before setting about making the storage boxes on top.
The floor on this wagon sits much higher than the typical FR / WHR wagon so before going much further I think the next job is to compare it to some of our existing stock to work out how to mount the couplings at the correct height.