Thursday 7 April 2011

We're All Domed!

The best part of a day's worth of modelling has seen the construction of my commissioned model of 102 completed. One of the landmark features on these carriages are the sloping ends to the roof above the obs compartment.



I have a tried and tested way of doing these, which are also a feature of the late-70's 'tin carrs'. My way is to cut a triangle section out of the roof skin before it is glued in place over the former (see the carriage building guide in the page menu for more details on how I make my roofs) and then put filler into the void and sand down to shape.

I've seen other 009 modellers try to use filler but doing it across the whole width of the carriage where the roof skin is cut short at each end instead of having a triangular section. This means they have to rely on the sanding of the filler to define the triangular edges leading from the centre of the roof down to each corner.
It seems like an awful lot of hard work and hassle. I think my approach is much simpler and dare I saw more effective?



As usual this carriage has a removable underframe with the interior detail fixed onto it - the interior doesn't include seats as per my client's specification.



And here it is alongside 105 which is the other half of the commission. Next stop the paintshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment