Saturday 21 June 2014

Kit Development Again

If you follow my Boston Largs Works blog then you'll already know that I'm planning on releasing a fourth SAR freight kit - this time it's not a wagon but a van.

A client asked me to make him a model of the WHR V-16 brake van in its current condition with the windows at one end and the window on the doors covered over

I reasoned that it would make sense, as I was scratch building the parts anyway to make them as masters so I could produce a kit if there proved to be demand for it.

John at the FR shop has confirmed that he would like to have a batch and that was enough for me to commit.


The sides are not symmetrical and so I am having to make two. There will have to be two masters made for the ends as well because only one end has windows.

A new floor / chassis unit will need to be designed as well because the vacuum reservoir is in a different place and the van is wider than the B & DZ wagons, although it is the same length.

You can see in the picture above that one side is more advanced that the other with the L section frame detail added on.

I was unable to get hold of my preferred Evergreen styrene strip for the L section and was up sold a Plastruct alternative at twice the price! Ho hum.


No comments:

Post a Comment