Saturday 21 July 2018

Wild Geese That Fly

A very important part of the fleet in the weather we've been having so far this summer is the water tank wagon.


In South Africa vehicles like these were towed behind the Garratts to extend their operating range, in Wales its role is as a strategic, mobile store of fire-fighting water in case of a lineside conflagration on one of the more remote sections of the WHR.


I puzzled for a while about how to build the tank before I discovered the diameter was pretty much a match for plastic pipe I could by at the local DIY store, and for the domed ends I adapted parts from that old faithful, the Airfix / Dapol four-wheel oil tank wagon kit.

The whole thing was mounted on one of my resin cast DZ wagon chassis.

On special occasions the wagon does get a run and performs another useful purpose as a barrier wagon between double headed NGG16s to prevent any strain on the heritage bridges on the WHR.




No comments:

Post a Comment