Monday 18 May 2020

In The Nick Of Time

We’ve just had our worst case yet of ‘Boston Lodge Syndrome’, which is what happens when a modeller gets caught out by the craftsmen in Wales not following the script.

Himself has been progressing well with the painstaking job of lining out the new WHR observation car Gwyrfai when he sent me an alarming late night message saying “Er, shouldn’t there be a window above the door at the back?”


A quick google search confirmed the worst.

Bugger!

But how did that happen??

I dug out the drawings and it became apparent it had happened again....


Between us we quickly concluded that the only possible remedy was to drill holes in the styrene panel and file to shape.

It was a high risk strategy that could ruin the whole model of it went wrong.

Fortunately, Himself has pulled it off (at least on one side) with only minor damage to some lining which can be repaired.


What puzzles me most is that no one involved in building the real carriage - who I know read this blog - warned me.

1 comment:

  1. If It had been built to drawing with a bigger droplight it would be a lot better for all concerned. I think it is done to give a position for the vehicle number - respect for himself - I would have painted a black cheat panel with gloss varnish on top.

    ReplyDelete