Sunday 20 August 2023

Minffordd Update: A Start On The Ground Frame

I've decided to tackle the Cambrian ground frame building next, and thought it would be best to tackle the hardest bit first - the window frames.

These are a fun challenge, but very fiddly to fabricate from strip sections which are no more than 0.5mm square.


(That's a 1p piece in the picture, for reference.)

So what I've decided to do - much the same as with the saw tooth barge board in the previous post - is to make a master from I can cast copies,

I'll need four of each for this project.

Notice that I've not called it the 'signal box', because although the pretty little cabin on the station platform contained more than a dozen levers, they only controlled the points in the yard.

Aside from the Weigh House this is the only other building on the layout for which I have any sort of drawing to guide me.

I am having to adapt a drawing for one of the Dutton 'Type 4' boxes which were very similar to the Minffordd cabin, except the one I'm building has larger sliding windows made up for a 6 pane unit and a 4 pane unit  (on the drawing it's 4 and 4).

My box also doesn't have a chimney breast at the rear, I suppose because it was never permanently occupied and only opened up when it was necessary to shunt the yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment