I've been swithering for many months about the best way of getting a 45XX Small Prairie tank for the Minffordd fleet.
First World problems, and all that, I know...
Although outshone in the popular imagination by the Manors, Duekdogs and Collett Goods, they saw a lot of use at the northern end of the Coast line, working from Pwllheli and Portmadoc sheds, and often entrusted with the Cambrian Coast Express.
Right now pre-orders are being taken for a brand new version of these go-anywhere ex-GWR branch line engines from Rapido.
If it's anything like the Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' I already have it will be a superb runner, and you can buy it pre-fitted with DCC sound.
However, I already have a 45XX.
It's one the Bachmann ones which probably date back the best part of 20 years.
It's so ancient - I use the word advisedly - that it doesn't have a DCC socket, but it's a relatively simple project to hard wire a chip and fit a speaker and stay alive.
This was bought second hand a couple of years ago for around £60 if my memory is correct, and it runs perfectly quietly and smoothly.
It's also been factory weathered in truly filthy condition.
Yes, it lacks subtlety, but if I were to chose to go down the Rapido route as well as paying around £250 for a sound fitted example I'd probably want to send it away to get it weathered professionally.
For around half this outlay I could buy and chip and speaker etc for the Bachmann model and for less than half that outlay we'd have ourselves a Prairie, and we could probably get it running for the next exhibition in September.
So there's quite a lot to weigh up.
How much of an improvement over the Bachmann version will the new Rapido one be?
If it's better is it 50% more £ better?
In my position what would you choose?


I guess I'd probably DCC the old one and see how happy you are with it. If it's "good enough" when in use then great. If not you could sell it and put the money towards a new Rapido model -- although I know this is complicated with the modern "order book" approach to stock.
ReplyDelete