Wednesday 2 October 2019

Not Seiont

At last my mole has come up with the goods and I have a document which appears to be an outline plan for the new WHR observation carriage, which in turn means I have a project to work on.


The new carriage is very different in detail from the first one, Glaslyn, although very obviously sharing a family resemblance.

One thing which amused me on the drawing I have is a glimpse it offers into the politics of FR/WHR names.

The first carriage was officially named Glaslyn by no less a personage than HM Queen, who rode in it to Dinas for the ceremony with the carriage marshalled (for security reasons we presume) in the middle of the train, making a mockery of the huge curved window at the front which is the iconic feature of this generation of observation carrs.

The second one, we now know, is to be called Gwyrfai.

In the drawing I have, in the traditional Pullman name space in the middle of the bodyside, it has the words 'Not Seiont'- which is the river which flows into the Menai Strait right past the railway's northern terminus at Caernarfon.

Now, would seem a logical choice given how the Glaslyn flows into Porthmadog Harbour at the other end - or perhaps we should say the middle? - of the line.

It doesn't begin with the letter G, though.

Something tells me there's a story behind this.....

No comments:

Post a Comment