Tuesday 23 March 2021

Round And Round

There's been some gentle progression on the commission to scratch build a model of FR buffet car 114 in styrene this week.

Before I can start adding a second layer of detail on the sides I needed to fill the gaps at the corners of the window frames.

My favourite material for these jobs is Milliput.

It doesn't dry too quickly and crumble like the sort of model fillers you squeeze out of tubes, and if you wet the surface it will flow into the tiniest gap and leave a brilliantly smooth finish, as well as setting very hard.

I've also made the base pieces for the two ends of the carriage.

For these I've used a different technique to get rounded corners, this time gluing tiny triangles of styrene strip into the corners and using a file to shape them.


1 comment:

  1. looking very good, I expect Seamus will tell you the real things were far from square or well built. The door in the end showed with a rub mark how end was not vertical and the bristle seals wore unevenly.

    ReplyDelete