Friday 1 March 2013

Rhyd Reunion

My main reason for visiting the Model Rail Scotland exhibition in Glasgow last weekend was to see one of my 7mm models in its new home.

Last year I made this model of FR Observation Carriage 100 (the original one) for a modeller called David John who lives in the Highlands and he brought his layout Rhyd to the show at the SECC.


If you're wondering where you've seen it before, the layout is the cover star in the latest edition of Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review.

It's not a large layout but it is superbly detailed with beautifully observed features. One of my favourites was not a locomotive, carriage or even a structure but the representation of a riverside path. It was so good you felt you could almost step into the scene and take a stroll.

David does have some super stock to run including this model of Prince which, unusually, portrays the 'England engine on steroids' as it exists on the FR today. The taller cab and the fatter smokebox are giveaway features.


There was also a heavily weathered Funkey, Vale of Ffestiniog making occasional forays into the scene.



I very much enjoyed seeing my carriage being put to use and admiring David's layout.  If you ever notice Rhyd on the bill at an exhibition near you I can highly recommend a visit,  You won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment