Wednesday 10 February 2021

Copy Shop

I've been given a new scratch building challenge.

A long-standing customer is looking for a model of the FR's Carnforth-built buffet car 114.

Straightforward enough.

The challenge is that the other two parts of the trio of carriages have been built using the Worsley brass scratch aid kits, but mine will be constructed from styrene.

What I have to do is try to and make mine as good a match as I can, which is tricky given the nature of the materials they're made from.

They've sent one of their existing carriages to use as a guide.

In case you were wondering, the reason I've been asked to scratch build it is because 114 has undergone changes to its design - an extra window on one side - compared to the Worsley version.


1 comment:

  1. Surely it would be easier to just ask Alan to produce a modified 114 as a scratch aid and start from there? I’m not sure how you’ll be able to match the feel of the etched brass coach purely in styrene? I look forward to seeing how you get on though as you’re usually a master of the art.

    ReplyDelete